80m Inverted-L Antenna (Base-loaded for 160m)

80m Inverted-L Antenna (Base-loaded for 160m)

Click here to jump to latest news on this antenna
My coaxial-dipole would just about tune up on 160m but its replacement, a standard 40m half-wave dipole wouldn’t. Given the small size of my garden even a long wire contorted with lots of bends wouldn’t easily fit. A bent quarter-wave vertical (in inverted-L configuration) seemed the best approach and the answer was inspired by G4EIE’s advice “you need a whacking big loading coil”. Garden aesthetics (my wife, Pam) also demanded antennas have as low a profile as possible; consequently it would have to be base loaded as a large 160m loading coil swinging in the air and was out of the question.

K0EMT’s 160m project gave me some idea for the coil construction, G6GVI’s spreadsheet worked out the windings required.

Last updated: Feb 2012

Side view - click here to enlarge
At the furthest point in the garden, I hammered in to nice clay soil a 6 foot length of copper pipe. On top of this I fitted some black plastic conduit which acts as a prop to take the weight of the loading coil. Above the loading coil, the vertical section is suspended by Kevlar cord attached to a 2×2″ post. Overall the wire section above the loading coil is about 18m long (as long as I could get away with in free space). The feed-line is about 15m of coax, most of which is either laying on or just under the soil. Since then I have sunk a further 3 earth spikes.

The loading coil itself is 36 turns, of 1.5mm flexiweave insulated copper wrapped on a 110mm (4.5″) diameter, 200mm (8″) long section of drain pipe. In my configuration, resonance at 1975Khz should be achieved by about 27 turns. However, knowing that my guesstimations could turn out to be widely inaccurate, I wound 36 turns and put 8 taps on the coil at varying intervals for tuning up the coil properly later.

Initially I relied on my ATU and found I was receiving most stations 2 s-points higher and the background noise was 2 s-points lower (as compared to my dipole); a huge improvement! Feed-line radiation is low; this was always a problem on 80/160m with the dipoles (which are too short of course). However – Relying on the ATU for 80m brought me reports 4 s-points lower than the dipole on transmit. I carried out tests and found tap positions which gave me resonance on 80m and 160m and so decided to fit a switch between these two tap positions (160m = 28 turns; 80m = 6 turns). The transmit side now improved greatly on 80m, with stations reporting me 4 s-points higher than the dipole. As a M3, I’d never had reports of 59+20 before – what a treat! 160m, later that evening, delivered similar success with GB6OD in Weymouth (about 270 miles) giving my 10w a report of 55.

Noise levels on 160m can be horrific, often as high as s8. Getting a NES 10-2 DSP speaker at Christmas 2004 has made a big difference to reception and I was able to work Ukraine on 160m albeit at rs44 with 90w. The limiting factor now was again my antenna which wasn’t quite up to DX. I just about heard N4CQC but to work him on 160m would needs some serious thought!

Bigger and better – the initial design antenna came down on January 7th 2005 after a storm with 75mph winds. Not to be beaten, the antenna was up again by the end of the month, now with an increased the vertical section taking the vertical section nearer 20′ off the ground. I replaced the support lines with Kevlar; originally I used 60Lb nylon fishing line which frayed on the roof section. Increasing the height of the 2×2″ post gave me some anxieties watching it in the next storm – I found this useful guide of wind pressure to worry me further (HI!).

Some variations in the tuning arrangements were required to better deal with the comparatively low impedance that this antenna presents but the higher antenna appears to be a success (for it’s relatively small size). 160m Results – I’ve worked across Europe from Portugal and Ireland in the West to Northern Russia and the Ukraine in the East, the top of Scotland in the North to Morocco, Italy and the Balkan countries to the South.
Having some problems with my inverted-V, I tried this antenna on 15 and 20m and found it can work pretty well on HF too. Receiving 57 reports from the US and Mexico on 15m and 20m, even in relatively poor propagation conditions.

In August 2008 a home-brew Aerial Relay Selector Unit was installed.

Loading coil suspended beneath antenna, sat on plastic pipe Close-up of coil Coil taps Coil with connectors - these are covered in petroleum jelly tap connector switch - now replaced by relays (see below) feed point to the base of the coil base of the antennarelay box in situ

Latest News

May 2011 – Aerial Selector Unit has now been redesigned and Mk 2 is operational.

by
Tagged with:
Posted in 160m, Antennas or Aerials, Radio Construction